Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Review: The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart
Published in 2008
345 Pages
Goodreads, Amazon, Author's Website

Frankie Landau-Banks at age 14: 

Debate Club.Her father’s “bunny rabbit.” 
A mildly geeky girl attending a highly competitive boarding school. 
Frankie Landau-Banks at age 15: 
A knockout figure. 
A sharp tongue. 
A chip on her shoulder. 
And a gorgeous new senior boyfriend: the supremely goofy, word-obsessed Matthew Livingston. 
Frankie Laundau-Banks. 
No longer the kind of girl to take “no” for an answer. Especially when “no” means she’s excluded from her boyfriend’s all-male secret society. Not when her ex boyfriend shows up in the strangest of places. Not when she knows she’s smarter than any of them. When she knows Matthew’s lying to her. And when there are so many, many pranks to be done. 
Frankie Landau-Banks, at age 16: 
Possibly a criminal mastermind. 
This is the story of how she got that way

This book was seriously entertaining! Frankie is underestimated, she is part of the Debate Club and is intelligent but she doesn't break rules or do anything out of the ordinary. She had frizzy hair and was awkwardly skinny. Over the summer however nature gives her a makeover. She begins sophomore year by attracting the attention of Matthew, most popular most gorgeous guy on campus who is also a senior. He and his friends claim to have never seen her before even though she has sat with them the year prior when her sister Zada was a senior and Frankie was a freshman. 

I don't want to go into too much detail with the plot because I really think you should read it for yourself. Frankie does indeed show everyone what she is capable of, but once she does, is she satisfied with the outcome? I think most girls will relate to Frankie's character, I for one know exactly what it feels like to want to walk a different path. The writing in this book was great, it was funny and witty and I loved the "neglected positives and negatives" of words. I'm going to start using some of them just for kicks. 

The pranks were one of my favorite aspects of the novel. They had fun names and had real meaning to them. Although I don't encourage others to replicate them, I kinda wish I could go back to my own high school days and whip out a few pranks. If nothing is damaged and no one is hurt I support any prank with a message. Or if it's funny. This book isn't a long read and once the ball got rolling I couldn't put it down!

I give this book 4.5 Stars!




2 comments:

  1. This book has been on my wishlist for so long! Im so glad to hear that you really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds adorable. You are right, every girl can relate to someone like Frankie. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment :)