Saturday, May 14, 2011

Review: The Advice Girl by L.A. Shaw

The Advice Girl by L.A. Shaw
Dalara #1
Published March, 2011
Ebook received from Author for Review
Goodreads, Amazon, Author's Blog

Kira and Sophia have been best friends since they were five years old. They share an apartment together, and tell each other everything. Everyone loves Sophia, and she is often called the advice girl by people who know her. Kira believes she knows her friend better than anyone. But in a mysterious accident, Sophia loses her life. Kira is mourning the devastating loss when she finds a note addressed to her from beyond the grave. Kira realizes she doesn't know her friend as well as she thought, as she starts to uncover the truth. She falls into a deep depression, confused and lost, until a visit from a strange man puts her in the middle of a war between two secret societies. Kira soon understands that she is in danger, and doesn't know who to trust. She has to fight for her own life now.


This book was a very quick read, almost like a short story/novel hybrid. I felt that some parts of the book lacked depth and didn't go into a whole lot of detail. It didn't really bug me though, the writing was wonderful and the story moved along. When Kira is mourning Sophia's death I could totally relate, I felt her sorrow and her sense of being disconnected from the rest of the world. The two were very close and had been friends since well almost forever so it was a huge blow for her. The two secret societies were interesting, I hope we get to learn more about them in the next book. The leader of VS (Vindicated Saints aka the evil of the two secret societies) Markus freaked me out so of course I want to learn more about him. Leave it to me to be interested in the villain. Can't help it!

I'm not one to give much away or post a lot of spoilers, but I will say that the book takes an interesting turn and I was glad for it. I really was. There is also some romance in The Advice Girl and it was sweet to read. I sense a surge of popularity in British accents for the male lead and I say bring it! I myself am a sucker for cute accents. That is all I'll say about the plot (sorry it's not much) but I wouldn't ruin the read for any of you! Now I'll talk about the ending. My mouth was hanging open for part of it, I couldn't believe Ms. Shaw would really do that to the characters and the readers! I was somewhat shocked. I like being surprised by books, for that I applaud the author. I am looking forward to reading the sequel, Invoked, so I can see what happens after The Advice Girl's ending (it was somewhat of a cliffhanger). 

I give this book 3.5 Stars!


1 comment:

  1. I like being surprised by the author! I don't always "like" the surprise turns, but it definitely makes for a more interesting read :) And I agree...bring on the cute accents!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment :)