Monday, January 10, 2011

Fallen by Lauren Kate

From Goodreads: There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori. 
Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move. 
Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.

I have read many reviews on this book, they either love it or hate it. I can honestly say I've never seen a book with such a hot/cold response from readers. I found myself (ever the impartial one) nodding in agreement with both sides. The story itself is a heartbreaking love story, Luce and Daniel have been in love for a long time, but only one of them is immortal. You can see now where the 'heartbreaking' aspect comes into the picture. Speaking of heartbreaking, does the cover not portray just that? What a great cover, but I think you've already heard that, huh? A million times probably. I have a soft spot for covers with amazing photography. The story moves at a good pace, sometimes I wished Daniel would just give in to what he feels, I felt bad for Luce because she had to deal with Daniel's mixed signals. Ugh I am such a romantic. Luce herself was a confusing character, she is 'very intelligent' but that didn't seem to reflect in her actions and words. She isn't my favorite heroine, but I give her credit for trying. Daniel on the other hand was an interesting character who seemed to be hiding a lot about himself, I didn't learn enough about him to satisfy my curiosity. The people Luce meets at Sword & Cross were diverse, but all had their reasons for ending up there. She meets a particular group who end up being a lot more than they led on. Cam in particular seemed totally beyond the good looking bad boy character. The ending left some questions I couldn't stop thinking about like what is it with their relationship, what makes it so special? I hope Torment is able to answer those questions and solidify my opinion of Luce and Daniel. Now for the not so great parts of this book. I thought there were some similarities with Twilight, but I enjoyed the book nonetheless (hello, angels!) I can see why some readers might not have liked Fallen for these reasons, but the good outweigh the bad for me in this case and I am looking forward to getting my hands on a copy of Torment. 


I give this book 4 owls!


3 comments:

  1. Look at that?! You answered my question from my last post right away ;o) Reading the back cover seems like it might be a little like Twilight, but I'm ok with that. I want to read something that will take me away from the cold winter and this sounds like it might be it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with what you said - everyone usually go to extremes when it comes to this book. Hot or cold. Barely any in middle ground. That's kind of what made me be on the fence to this series. I have friends that swear by it, and I have friends that tell me it's a piece of crap that isn't worth my time. If anything, I want to read this series so I can see where I stand. :P Anywhoo, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been in awe of the book covers for this series, but have yet to read it. I'm so glad that I read your review. I really hope Torment answers more questions. If it does, I might have to put this series on the top of my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment :)