Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Matched by Ally Condie

From GoodreadsCassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.
The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.

This book was deep, as a (well written) dystopian novel it made me realize just how good our lives are (for the most part) and made me thankful for the one thing Cassia doesn't have and that is freedom of choice. The last book that made me think this way was The Giver by Lois Lowry. I loved the way this book was written, the story seemed detached and Cassia's world seemed so robotic and boring, except for the Match Banquet. It definitely added to the mood. Cassia's character was fun to read, she seemed to be a little rebellious and unusual from the beginning. They have stats on all citizens and can predict many things, including what dress she would choose. The green dress she chose was an "uncommon" choice and she is just that, uncommon. The relationship she develops with Ky is sweet, but at the same time both characters showed a vast amount of depth as they learned more about each other and Cassia learned about Ky's dark past. Ky is one of those characters you feel sympathy for, but at the same time I felt that he was strong and a survivor. Without giving too much away about the ending, I hope the best for Cassia and her family along with Ky and Xander. Xander's character broke my heart, I hate when love triangles in books makes me love both guys, but Xander is a great friend to Cassia, and Ky too. I want to see all three of them happy (I know I know totally cliche) but I have fallen in love with "uncommon" Cassia, Deep Ky, and Steadfast Xander *sigh* when will the next book come out?? 

I give this book 5 owls!


1 comment:

  1. I want to read this. I am a sucker for a pretty cover, and this is one I love. A good book is a plus. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment :)