Monday, October 25, 2010

Happy Hour at Casa Dracula

From Goodreads: Latina Ivy League grad Milagro de Los Santos can't find her place in the world or a man to go with it. Then one night, at a book party for her pretentious ex-boyfriend, she meets an oddly attractive man. After she is bitten while kissing him, she falls ill and is squirreled away to his family's estate to recover. Vampires don't exist in this day and age -- or do they? As Milagro falls for a fabulously inappropriate man, she finds herself caught between a family who has accepted her as one of their own and a shady organization that refuses to let the undead live and love in peace.


This was a enjoyable though sometimes slow read. It had many Spanish words that were quite funny to me ("colita") and at times I found myself smiling or chuckling. I'm not sure if everyone will understand them all, but I am sure you will infer the meaning of some. What sets this "vampire" book apart from others is that the characters, or most of them anyway, consider it a "medical condition", the way Marta Acosta presented it I would have to agree. I found some parts were a bit on the silly side and I (easily) predicted the ending but I still recommend for a light funny read. This is the first book about Milagro, there are three to follow.


 I give this book 3 owls!
Happy Hour at Casa Dracula



1 comment:

  1. Latino vampire?! Lol! What a concept :) Now that I ordered my brand spanking new kindle, I'm all ready to start ordering new reads!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment :)