Thursday, March 10, 2011

Review: Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
Sookie Stackhouse #1
292 Pages
Goodreads, Amazon, Author Website

From Goodreads: Sookie Stackhouse is a cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana, but she keeps to herself and doesn't date much because of her "disability" to read minds. When she meets Bill, Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. He's the type of guy she's waited for all of her life, but he has a disability, too--he's a vampire with a bad reputation. When one of Sookie's coworkers is killed, she fears she's next.


This series is very popular and has spawned a hit TV show (as I'm sure most of you are aware of), but I've never seen it, only the ads for it. So I there was a certain idea of what this book was going to be like in my head, I admit I was expecting a sexy vampire story. It turned out to be much more. Vampires have "come out of the coffin" and even have synthetic blood to drink. Sookie can read minds and for that reason she can never let her guard down or she gets bombarded with the thoughts of others. She has been curious about vampires until one walks into her work. She can't hear his thoughts and they begin dating. Meanwhile, women are turning up dead and Sookie's brother is the prime suspect. The book moved a little too slow for my taste, but the characters kept my attention like nothing else. Bill was both gentlemanly and unpredictable (hot). We don't see much of Eric, but if the ending is any indication he will be around. Sookie was feisty and I liked her, she had a tough childhood and she deserves happiness. While I enjoyed the book overall, it wasn't "un-put-downable" and I have a feeling this style of writing just isn't my "type" however I will be getting the next book in the series (and maybe the one after that too at least). 


I give this book 3.5 stars!



1 comment:

  1. Well glad for the review! As you know, I'm an avid fan of the show and I was considering getting the book. But I think I'll pass. But you should totally watch the show! Just the eye candy alone (hello Eric!) is enough to make it worth your while :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment :)