Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Where I Belong by Gwendolyn Heasley

Where I Belong by Gwendolyn Heasley
289 Pages

From Goodreads: Meet Corrinne. She's living every girl's dream in New York City—shopping sprees at Barneys, open access to the best clubs and parties, and her own horse at the country club. Her perfect life is perfectly on track. At least it was. . . . When Corrinne's father is laid off, her world suddenly falls apart. Instead of heading to boarding school, she's stripped of her credit cards and shipped off to the boonies of Texas to live with her grandparents. On her own in a big public school and forced to take a job shoveling manure, Corrinne is determined to get back to the life she's supposed to be living. She doesn't care who she stomps on in the process. But when Corrinne makes an unlikely friend and discovers a total hottie at work, she begins to wonder if her life B.R.—before the recession—was as perfect as it seemed.


The story begins with a letter from Corrinne to the reader where she gives a general summary of her story and it's connection to the butterfly effect. It was cute, just like the rest of the book. It was a short read with big writing and I read it in one sitting. Corrinne's voice was interesting to read and it kept my interest throughout the book. Aside from her, there wasn't much character development or romance (as the cover suggests). The book has a good message and an optimistic ending. The only complaint I have about this book is that I don't know what age group the book was intended for. The writing and story are for younger readers, but there was a lot of drinking (especially by the football team) I don't think young readers should see "high school partying" in their books quite yet. If the story had been longer with more details and romance I would say it was for teenagers, but I'll go ahead and say it's for middle school kids. Corrinne meets some great people in Texas including her new friend, Kitsy, she was my favorite character in the book. She was sweet and I gave a lot of credit for holding her ground when she meets Corrinne's old friend Waverly (who was a bit rude). She also meets not one, but two guys, one is a star football player and overall nice guy and the other is in a band who thinks he's too good for Broken Spoke, who will she choose? All in all, it was a cute fast read, so if you're in the mood for some Texas town life read this!


I give this book 3 owls!

 

3 comments:

  1. This book looks cute and it's cheap. I think I'll get this for one of my summer reads. Thanks for the review!
    -Danna

    ReplyDelete
  2. hm.. this book has been on my wishlist for awhile but maybe i'll knock it down in priority. it doesn't seem to be as good as i expected. thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you give some great honest feedback! And I agree about the drinking if it's intended for pre-teen audiences. But then again, at that age I was sneaking steamy romance books at night...it could be worse ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment :)