Saturday, January 29, 2011

Need by Carrie Jones

Need by Carrie Jones
306 Pages


From Goodreads: Zara White suspects there's a freaky guy semi-stalking her. She's also obsessed with phobias. And it's true, she hasn't exactly been herself since her stepfather died. But exiling her to shivery Maine to live with her grandmother? That seems a bit extreme. The move is supposed to help her stay sane... but Zara's pretty sure her mom just can't deal with her right now.
She couldn't be more wrong. Turns out the semi-stalker is not a figment of Zara's overactive imagination. In fact, he's still following her, leaving behind an eerie trail of gold dust. There's something not right - not human - in this sleepy Maine town, and all signs point to Zara.

Zara has a unique habit of reciting phobias when she's nervous, I enjoyed reading them and hey I picked up some new phobias (autophobia, nosocomephobia, ...). She moves in with her grandma who is quite a character to behold. When this "semi-stalker" comes up, Zara's new friends are quick to label him as a pixie. As Zara has no experience with non humans I thought it was odd that she would even consider it without more evidence. I thought it was a bit out of the blue, but with the gold dust he leaves behind it was fitting. Nick is the first person she meets at her new school and I liked him right away even though he cuts off Zara in the parking lot. Okay so I seem to like guys that can be jerky, I just don't buy those "pure gentleman" type love interests. I loved that Zara's character is eager to help others, she helps start an Amnesty International chapter at her new school and always has letters to work on or send out. She puts herself in harm's way quite often and sometimes had me shaking my head, come on Zara you're making more work for those trying to protect you! I knew right away that something was different about some of the characters (not naming names!) so I wasn't as surprised as she was to find out, if anything I was just waiting for it to be revealed so the story can move on, which at times seemed to slow down. The ending was surprising and left me with the "what's going to happen now?" question in my head. I am looking forward to reading more about Zara and phobias, and the situation in the forest. 



I give this book 4 owls!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment :)